Microsoft Office 365 is a cloud-based collaboration suite, which offers many different tools. Among these are several file sharing and file storage options: OneDrive for personal file hosting, SharePoint/OneDrive for Office 365 Groups file storage, and Stream for video hosting. SharePoint online is only supported for Office 365 groups-created sites at this time.
University of Chicago staff, faculty, and students are able to use these tools to collaborate.
All faculty, staff, and students may use this service and are entitled to 1TB of storage.
- Share personal files with OneDrive.
- Store and collaborate on Teams files with a shared OneDrive (provisioned automatically with the creation of a Team.)
- Store and collaborate on Office 365 Groups shared files with a shared OneDrive (provisioned automatically with the creation of an Office 365 group.)
- Host videos for campus, create watchlists and channels to organize and share video content with Stream.
- Acceptable Use Policy: http://its.uchicago.edu/acceptable-use-policy/
- File Sharing Policy: https://itservices.uchicago.edu/policies/file-sharing-policy
- The Office 365 website (https://office365.uchicago.edu) contains links and pointers to relevant documentation and training for each application within the suite.
- The ITS knowledge base (https://uchicago.service-now.com/it/)
- Direct link for OneDrive-related information: https://uchicago.service-now.com/it?id=kb_category&kb_category=f0b0a151136ef60012c2bc122244b0f4
- Microsoft’s support website for Office (https://support.office.com/)
Best practice is to send a link to a secure file sharing location (see cloud data storage) or password protect the shared file for the following data types:
- Attorney/Client Information
- Student Education Records
- Student Financial Aid Application
- Sensitive Identifiable Human Subject Research